- Patient lies on her back with feet in stirrups and a speculum is inserted to open the vagina.
- A local anesthetic is administered to her cervix. Then, a tenaculum (a slender sharp pointed hook attached to a handle, and used mainly in surgery for seizing and holding parts) is used to hold the cervix in place for the cervix to be dilated by cone shaped rods.
- When the cervix is wide enough, a cannula (a long plastic tube connected to a suction device) is inserted into the uterus to suction out the baby and placenta.
- The procedure is usually short, but recovery may require staying at the clinic for a few hours.
Risks and Side Effects 1
- Cramping, bleeding/spotting, nausea, sweating, and feeling faint.
- Less frequent side effects include possible heavy or prolonged bleeding, blood clots, damage to the cervix and perforation of the uterus.
- Infection due to retained remains of the baby and related tissues, an STD, or bacteria being introduced to the uterus, can cause fever, pain, abdominal tenderness, scarring, infertility and in some cases, death.
Early Fetal Development (up to week 12)
The following describes some of the developmental steps of the baby during the time frame when a woman is eligible for a vacuum abortion. 2
|4-8 weeks||9-12 weeks|
|All major systems and organs begin to form.||The external genital organs are developed.|
|The beginnings of the eyes and ears are developing.||Fingernails and toenails appear.|
|Tiny limb buds appear, which will develop into arms and legs.||Eyelids are formed.|
|The eyes, nose, mouth, and ears are becoming more distinct.||The arms and legs are fully formed.|
|The embryo is in constant motion but cannot be felt by the mother.||The voice box (larynx) begins to form in the trachea.|
|All major body systems continue to develop and function, including the circulatory, nervous, digestive, and urinary systems.|
Are you considering abortion near Wichita, KS? Are you unsure of your options? Here at Birthline we specialize in helping you through the process. Our onsite staff will answer your questions in a caring and confidential way. We would be happy to serve you.
Contact us today: Birthline, Inc, 339 N Seneca, Wichita, Ks 67203; 316-265-0134
1 American Pregnancy Association (2019). Possible physical side effects after abortion. Retrieved from https://americanpregnancy.org/unplanned-pregnancy/abortion-side-effects/
2 Johns Hopkins Medicine (n.d.). Pregnancy: The first trimester. Retrieved from https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/pregnancy_and_childbirth/first_trimester_85,p01218
ALL SERVICES ARE FREE AND CONFIDENTIAL
FREE PREGNANCY TESTS
We provide free, hospital-grade pregnancy tests with immediate results.
We provide free ultrasounds for women who have had a positive pregnancy test at our center.
SEXUAL HEALTH EDUCATION
Most people have at least heard of the terms STDs and STIs.
FREE OPTIONS COUNSELING
We provide free education about all of your pregnancy options with a trained.
We are here for you and can help you find the resources you may need.